Losail International Circuit hosts the Grand Prix of Qatar, the season-opener and the only night race on the MotoGP calendar.
The track, located in the north of Doha, is also used annually by the World Superbikes series and has hosted the GP2 Asia, FIA WTCC, Speedcar series, and Grand Prix Masters in the past. Aside from the race, MotoGP also head to Losail for the annual winter test.
Speedily built by over a thousand workers in more or less one year at the cost of $58 million USD, it officially opened in 2004 by hosting the inaugural MotoGP Grand Prix of Qatar. The 5.40 km track boasts of a 1.068 meter main straight, 12 meters of width, 6 left-handed corners, 10 right-handed corners, and is protected from the desert sand by a surround of artificial grass. Losail further improved the circuit by adding permanent outdoor lighting for night races in 2007, and thus the 2008 Commercial Bank Grand Prix of Qatar became the first night race in MotoGP history. The switch to a night time race has proven to be a success, and Losail is now one of the more notable tracks on the MotoGP calendar. Valentino Rossi is the active rider with the most victories on this circuit, while Jorge Lorenzo currently holds the circuit record.
The opening round of the 2020 MotoGP season at Losail was cancelled due to the coronavirus pandemic at the last moment, though Moto2 and Moto3 did completer their races. In 2021, two back-to-back races at Losail begin the new season of MotoGP.
Major motorsport events at Losail International Circuit in 2021
- March 24-26: 2021 Grand Prix of Qatar (MotoGP)
- March 31-April 2: 2021 Grand Prix of Doha (MotoGP)
- Check all upcoming events at Losail
How to get there
Losail International Circuit is situated to the north of the Qatari capital Doha. Taking a taxi or Uber is the best way to get there.
- The closest airport is Doha International Airport (DIA), also known as Hamad International Airport. The airport has connections to all over the world, mainly with flag-carrying airline Qatar Airways. However, a diplomatic dispute between Qatar and the United Arab Emirates has grounded flights between Qatar and Dubai, as well as other Middle-East hubs. Take this into account when booking flights.
- Losail International Circuit is not served by any public transport, so the best way to get from Doha to the circuit is with taxi or Uber. An Uber from Doha Airport to the circuit should set you back around 60-80 QAR, while an Uber from downtown Doha (Port area) to the circuit should cost around 40-50 QAR.
Where to stay
We recommend staying on the north side of Doha when visiting the Losail International Circuit.
Some of the best places to stay include hotels on The Pearl, an artificial island that’s home to some of the Qatari capital’s best hotels. Staying in the heart of Doha is also a good option, as there’s easy circuit access via the motoway.
A variety of driving and riding experiences are offered at Losail throughout the year
- Track days for cars and motorbikes are held regularly at the circuit. Prices from 400 QAR ($110 USD). More info and upcoming schedule: cars / motorbikes
- Losail Riding Experience: take your own bike or rent one for a half day experience with professional instructors
- Ladies Test Drive Open Day: free drives for women of new dealer cars